mv hard drives with lvm/selinux ?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Apr 12 06:20:07 UTC 2005

On Sunday 13 March 2005 02:07, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com>
wrote:
> This kind of brings up another question, if I create a raid 5 with 3
> or 4 disk and have my system only one 1 disk, and that one disk blows
> up.  Will it be easy to replace that disk and see the
> raid5/lvm/selinux files?  Or should I take the caution and put my
> system in a raid 1 too.

With some effort you can have grub boot from a RAID-1 (I won't try to explain
how as I'm not an expert on booting, but it's something I've done before).

You may decide to use non-RAID for /boot.  After the kernel and the initrd
have been loaded the initrd can setup RAID so you can have LVM on software
RAID for the root file system (it's even supported in Anaconda).

For a serious machine there are two ways of doing it.  One is to have RAID for
all file systems including the root file system.  The other option is to have
a kickstart configuration that completely describes the configuration of the
system so that the machine can easily be reinstalled at a moment's notice.

For an ideal server room you would have RAID on the system partitions and swap
(so that a disk dying won't cause you to do any work at 3AM), RAID for data
partitions (of course!), as well as having a dedicated server for kickstart
that does DHCP and has NFS read-only shares containing every version of
RHEL/Fedora that you run on your network.  To do this right the kickstart
server would be configured to assign a particular IP address and config file
to each machine based on it's MAC address so reinstalling any server could be
done by merely booting from a kickstart device (either CD or USB dongle).

One thing I'm working on at the moment is a document on kickstart
configuration for SE Linux.