Problem with installing a new harddisk...

lonely wolf wolfy at zig-zag.net
Thu Apr 14 11:44:11 UTC 2005

Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> jckyau at cs.hku.hk wrote:
>
>> Hello Daniel,
>>
>> dwalsh at redhat.com wrote:

>>> It needs to be labeled.
>>>
>>> touch /.autorelabel
>>> shutdown  machine
>>> add disk
>>> boot machine
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>>  Thank you for your reply.  However, it didn't work for me.  With
>>  "/.autorelabel" and my new harddisk installed, the system took a
>>  very long time to "relabel" the filesystem at the booting phase
>>  (I guess it was my original root filesystem that it was relabeling),
>>  and continued with the booting afterwards.  But the booting was done
>>  (took a very long time), my root filesystem (which is the only
>>  filesystem on my original harddisk) was mounted as readonly.
>>  Certainly, a system with a readonly root filesystem doesn't do me any
>>  good.  More suggestions?

Are you sure that the problems do not come from the fact that you have
two filesystems labeled as '/" and the initialiation process trying to
mount the wrong one?
I'd give a shot and replace the line (use the values appropiate for you)
      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/
with
      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=/dev/hdaN  <=== use here
the value corresponding to the root partition of your first disk

Do not forget to (but I assume you have already done that)
- create a valid mount point for the second HD
- add an entry for it in fstab
- touch  /.autorelabel (so that the second HD gets relabeled too)