Problem with installing a new harddisk...

jckyau at cs.hku.hk jckyau at cs.hku.hk
Thu Apr 14 00:43:35 UTC 2005

Hello Daniel,

dwalsh at redhat.com wrote:

> jckyau cs hku hk wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am very new to SELinux, so, please bear with my ignorance.
> >
> > I have installed a Fedora Core 3 with SELinux enabled.  The system
> > has been running pretty stable until I tried to installed a new harddisk
> > to my system.  The system fails during the booting process if I have my
> > new harddisk installed.  It stops booting whenever I reach the point of
> > setting up the ppp (I rely on a PPPoE line to connect to the Internet).
> > But it boots smoothly when I have the new harddisk removed.  I think it
> > is a problem with SELinux (though I am not sure) as it gives me all
> > kinds of complains regarding permissions.
> >
> > I am pretty sure that it isn't a problem with the harddisk, as this
> > harddisk works fine when installed into another computer.  I've also
> > tried to install another harddisk to my SELinux box, and got the same
> > result.  Any clue??
> >
> > Many thanx in advance!
> >

> It needs to be labeled.
>
> touch /.autorelabel
> shutdown  machine
> add disk
> boot machine
>

> --

  Thank you for your reply.  However, it didn't work for me.  With
  "/.autorelabel" and my new harddisk installed, the system took a
  very long time to "relabel" the filesystem at the booting phase
  (I guess it was my original root filesystem that it was relabeling),
  and continued with the booting afterwards.  But the booting was done
  (took a very long time), my root filesystem (which is the only
  filesystem on my original harddisk) was mounted as readonly.
  Certainly, a system with a readonly root filesystem doesn't do me any
  good.  More suggestions?

  Thanx!

--
Joe Yau.....The Natural Born Uncle!!!

| Email: jckyau at cs.hku.hk           WWW: http://www.cs.hku.hk/~jckyau |
|       First they ignore you...  Then they ridicule at you...        |
|          Then they fight you...    Then you win!!!                  |
|                                          --  Mahatma Gandhi         |