apache cron job

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Apr 25 10:59:04 UTC 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 18:24, Holger Burde <hburde at t-online.de> wrote:
> I run a FC3 System with the rawhide strict Policy. I have a cron script
> (apache) that needs to read/write files under /var/www/
> { httpd_sys_content_t }. Any idea whats the best (= secure) way to do
> so ? audit2allow suggests this : allow system_crond_t
> httpd_sys_content_t:file write; - maybe there isa better solution?

Cron jobs that deal with data from the net are a risk, potentially if an
attacker controlled the remote data source they could make repeated attempts
at manipulating the data to exploit your machine without you realising.

Having a separate domain for the cron job may be best.  But this would require
writing more policy.