differences between setfiles and restorecon? repeat of old thread?

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 19:58:49 UTC 2005

Running targeted/enforcing, latest rawhide.

I created a 'backup' of my root lvm2 partition, mounted the new partition as
/mnt, and copied the files via 'cp -dpR / /mnt'.

The copied files were all incorrectly labeled. (same result with cp
--preserve=all').

I tried 'chroot /mnt; restorcon -v -R /', but it had no effect (returned
immediately), as did any other resorecon attempted in the chroot'ed shell.

'setfiles -v /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts /' did the
right thing.

[Its almost as if restorecon is using the 'real' full pathname (with leading
/mnt), and setfiles is using the 'chroot'ed' pathname (without the leading
/mnt).]

First, should the 'preserve' on cp have failed to copy the contexts? Second,
why the difference in behavior between setfiles and restorecon in this
context?

Still curious,
tom
--