cant create dirs from vsftpd

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Aug 29 16:25:16 UTC 2005

On Sunday 28 August 2005 06:18pm, Peter Magnusson wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 04:23:30 +0200, Peter Magnusson said:
> >> Also, Im not so sure that I like that I cant see alot of dirs when Im
> >> logged in at the ftp.
> >
> > Give specific examples, and why you think FTP should be able to see that
>
> system dirs, like /bin in the root and a few dirs and files in my homedir.
>
> > dir? Most security people would consider this behavior in general a
> > feature rather than a bug - but if there's a *specific* corner case that
> > needs different treatment, we probably can fix it.
>
> I expect to see the same files as when I login over ssh or sits in front of
> the computer. I dont see why vsftpd should be special in any way so I dont
> see some dirs or files.

Perhaps, I'm just a little bit confused.  Are you wanting your FTP server to
provide access to the entire filesystem space?  It seems like that is what
you are asking for and that is not how FTP works.

FTP like HTTP serves up files only from a subset of the filesystem space.  You
wouldn't want your web server providing access to the entire filesystem,
would you?  The same is true of FTP.

Please, if I am misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish here, feel
free to explain it.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor