Neophyte question re: httpd under SELinux

Al Pacifico pacifico at drizzle.com
Wed Dec 21 15:44:37 UTC 2005

Marcus-

Thanks for your response.

This helped some, I think, but I still have my issues.

The URL
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/sn-debugging-and-customizin
g.html#sn-httpd-booleans didn't contribute much.

Output of ls -Z showed directories of my .../test directory as
user_u:object_r:user_home_t.

Changing context with chcon -Rv -t httpd_sys_script_t ./test (as root) did
not work... lot of permission denied messages. My machine has a multidisk
setup and /home is its own partition or disk; not sure if that matters.

Output of getsebool -a | grep httpd is:

allow_httpd_anon_write --> inactive
allow_httpd_sys_script_anon_write --> inactive
httpd_builtin_scripting --> active
httpd_can_network_connect --> inactive
httpd_disable_trans --> active
httpd_enable_cgi --> active
httpd_enable_ftp_server --> inactive
httpd_enable_homedirs --> active
httpd_ssi_exec --> active
httpd_suexec_disable_trans --> inactive
httpd_tty_comm --> inactive
httpd_unified --> active

I totally agree with the comment about placing files in the correct places,
on a production machine. However, numerous apache modules come with testing
suites that use the system httpd executable (appropriately) in other
locations.

I'm starting to believe that I should either use setenforce 0 when
developing. If I do that, and forget to turn it back on, will there be some
ugly ramifications later? I have to halt httpd from the console using ctrl-C
because of the -X option, so I can't just stick setenforce 1 in my script.
(Hmm.... how do I trap ctrl-C in a bash script?) I could switch to testing
with lighttpd for CGI and SCGI, but I do need to test some apache modules
for which that is not an option.

Two things I still don't unmderstand:
Why doesn't the "Disable SELinux protection for httpd daemon" checkbox just
take care of the problem?
My /var/log/messages didn't help me... doesn't show all those permission
denied messages when I tried to recusively change the context in my .../test
directory. Should I be looking elsewhere? Do I need to tell SELinux
something?

I'm sorry if my questions are pretty basic; I definitely fall in the
category of 80% just want to get the job done and 20% want to know more.

Thanks.
-al