apt-get doesn't support SELinux (Was Re: portmap)

Jared W. Robinson jwr at xmission.com
Thu Feb 3 22:35:36 UTC 2005

I was using apt from freshrpms, and I happen to figure out today
that the Fedora Extras version of apt supports SELinux. I've forwarded
your patch URL to the maintainer of freshrpms.

Thanks,

- Jared

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:29:54AM -0800, Gary Peck wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:38:29PM -0700, Jared W. Robinson wrote:
> > As an FYI, apt-get doesn't support SELinux. I didn't know that until now.
>
> Actually, apt-get has SELinux support in CVS, just not in the latest
> released version (0.5.15cnc6). Which version of apt-get are you running,
> and from which repository? I know that apt in Fedora Extras is using the
> CVS version, but I believe Dag's apt might still be at the last released
> version.
>
> BTW, the SELinux patch is available at
> http://distro2.conectiva.com.br/pipermail/apt-rpm/2004-June/002415.html.
> It's pretty minor.
>
> Gary

> > > apt-get does not have the SELinux port, so any RPM that you installed
> > > would get the default context for the directory that it was installed
> > > in. Yum and rpm support SELinux but apt does not. (We don't ship apt so
> > > I don't get a chance to change it. You might find a SELinux version of
> > > it available from debian.)

"Open source means standing on the shoulders of giants."
"The Internet is powered by open source."
 - Marc Andreessen