What to do after building a kernel.

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Jan 2 21:01:46 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 05:03, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 13:49 -0500, Justin Conover wrote:
> > After I built a new kernel based of of ck-overloaded, I rebooted and a
> > ton of SELinux errors/messages, kept comeing across the screen?

Without seeing a sample of the messages it's difficult to guess at what the
problem might be.  I'm sure that you've fixed your problem by now, but for
future reference please keep in mind that we need those messages to identify
and fix problems.  They will be stored in /var/log/messages.  If your machine
is too messed up to allow logging then boot with "enforcing=0".

> I recommend you don't rebuild arbitrary kernel versions and patch sets
> with SELinux enabled.  The security of the system depends on tight
> coordination between the kernel, policy, and various packages.  In
> Fedora we do the integration ensure that this all just works.

We recommend that Fedora users don't rebuild kernels etc.  But if you want to
get involved with development then rebuilding a kernel is something that may
be worth doing.  Breaking your system is always the best way to start in
development...