/etc/init.d/ script

Bogdan Agica bagica at bitdefender.com
Fri Jan 7 09:30:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 21:31 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thursday 06 January 2005 02:03, Bogdan Agica <bagica at bitdefender.com>
> wrote:
> > 1. Relabel the script from initrd_exec_t to something else,
> > in which case I'll run into problems starting / stopping the programs.
>
> You could have the init.d script call something else to do the work.  So you
> split the script into a worker script in /usr/sbin and a start script in the
> init.d directory that just calls the worker.
That's probably how we're gonna do it. Thanx for the tips.

> > 2. Give read access to initrd_t in bitdefender_etc_t and _lib_t,
> > which I think is a stupid workaround, providing read access to all
> > scripts in /etc/init.d to this dir.
>
> That's the usual approach.  Not ideal but not too bad either.  What is the
> bitdefender data?  initrc_t is a very powerful domain that can break your
> system in many ways.  Protecting files from it provides little benefit with
> the way things work now.

The data accessed is not very sensitive (only statistics and settings,
not anybody's email messages). However it would be only an workaround,
not a fix.

> > Is there any way to "inherit" a type (C++like inheritance), e.g. to
> > create a type (say bitdefender_initrc_exec_t), which inherits all the
> > attributes of it's successor, but adds new functionality? (Would be a
> > nice idea if there isn't yet)
>
> No.
Are there any plans for this? I guess it would make things easier for a
lot of people.

Thanx again for the reply,
Bogdan

--