SELinux settings for a program run either by apache or user?

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Thu Jan 20 08:56:11 UTC 2005

Dear Folks,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:07:59PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 14:47 +1100, Nick Urbanik wrote:
> > Dear Folks,
> >
> > I have written a program that I use both run by Apache and by normal
> > users as a command line application.
> >
> > When I changed the attribute of the program file to
> > httpd_sys_script_exec_t, It no longer had permission to write to the
> > console.  What is the simplest way to handle this properly in SELinux?
>
> The simplest solution is to simply make two copies of the program file
> (by using e.g. cp), accessible by different names, with different
> labels.  So you'd have e.g. "/usr/bin/program.cgi" labeled as
> httpd_sys_script_exec_t, and just "/usr/bin/program" labeled as
> bin_t.

This raises a can of worms when maintaining the program, and the
question arises as to which is the "real one".  I'm likely to forget
to update one or the other.  "Which one do I enter into version
control?" is a question I would ask myself often.

Where are SELinux attributes stored?  In the inode?  If not, can hard
links be given different attributes?

> The other solution is to define a new type, and grant both domains in
> question access to it.  This is a lot more complex; now you have to
> consider potential information flow between the two domains which were
> (presumably) separate before.

Well, that may be more managable in the long term.  Can you suggest a
(relatively) simple way of doing that?
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE       http://nicku.org          nicku(at)nicku.org
Proud ex-member of Dept. of Information & Communications Technology in