Shared data are (was: A few permission problems)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jul 20 06:58:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 13:12 +0200, Nicklas Norling wrote:
> I would encourage a boolean for shared data location. I think labeling a
> folder and it's subcontent with a specific label and then have different
> services be able to use it might be a start. That way I could disallow
> smb the rights but allow ftpd and httpd (as an example). I think that
> would be a great improvment from my point of view.

I think this is a great idea. I have a file server at home where I stick
all the software I've downloaded, some for Linux and some for Windows.
The Windows box accesses the area using samba and Linux uses httpd as
I've set up a local yum repo for the Linux software. So in Niklas' idea
I'd be enabling httpd and smb for this and not ftp.

This type might be a good one to use for everything under /srv...

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>