Java apps can't use network

Igor Wawrzyniak Igor.Wawrzyniak at shenick.com
Thu Jul 21 10:05:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

I tried running some Java apps on Fedora Core 4 with SELinux enabled and they
can't connect to network. The symptoms are strange (at least for me, I'm new
to SELinux):
1) I use TARGETED policy - I thought it shouldn't restrict applications unless
they were explicitly listed?
2) I tried setting SELINUX to PERMISSIVE - the apps still couldn't use
network.
3) The apps are blocked silently - no info in syslog, regardless of SELINUX
mode.

All non-Java apps can use the network. All non-network related Java functions
seem to work just fine. I tried 2 versions of Sun JRE.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? Can I use my Java software without
totally disabling SELinux?

Regards,

Igor Wawrzyniak