Network drop out problem

Brad Douglas bdouglas at synyati.com.au
Sun Jul 24 22:49:58 UTC 2005

Found the problem.  Someone had set up a Maxtor network storage device on
the same IP addr I was getting through DHCP.

Many thanks to those who responded.

use it as out file server, so I've got samba running on it, along with vnc.

>The problem I've run into is that the box appears to be running fine, but
every now and then _all_ the network connections to my >laptop (running XP)
disappear and can not reconnect for a few seconds: ssh, samba, vnc -
everything.  A few seconds later everything is fine again (till the next
time).  The weirdest thing is that I don't see any disruption pinging the
box.

>I've gone through the samba, message and secure logs and can't see anything
obviously wrong.

>If anyone has an idea what's going on, or even where I could look to
diagnose the cause I'd be very grateful.