how does rpm work under Selinux

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 1 02:20:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 04:01 +0200, Rudi Chiarito wrote:

> No matter how tempting, that also sounds like a perfect way for a
> rogue
> package to subvert the whole SELinux scheme, overriding the
> preinstalled policy, right?

Actually, I think all a rogue package has to do to subvert the SELinux
scheme is to install itself where the regexps expect, and it will get
labeled as a privileged process.

It's certainly possible to restrict rpm on a SELinux system. I believe
the current policy prevents it from writing to /etc/shadow, unless a
tunable is on.

On the other hand I am suspicious whether this protection works at all -
it probably allows the rpm to install an executable over an auth_write
binary, at which point it can just install a hostile executable there,
and the battle is lost.

I could be wrong though - I hadn't looked at the rpm policy until now...

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University