permission denied on shared library

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 28 00:40:51 UTC 2005

> i have seen this error in a number of searches, and the most common solution
> is to turn selinux off.

I would hardly consider that a solution :)

> there must be a better way to get this to work.

The application which you are trying to run likely requires text
relocations to work properly. You can check that by running readelf -d
on the application and looking for TEXTREL.

The proper fix is to work with the application developers to
compile it without this requirement.

A workaround is to relabel the application as
texrel_shlib_t (chcon -t texrel_shlib_t <app>),
and then to enable the allow_execmem boolean.
You can do that through the system-config-securitylevel
tool, or by running setsebool -P allow_execmod 1

That's my best guess, which could be incorrect..