gssftp server on FC4

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 16:05:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:40:57AM -0500, Darrel Adams wrote:
> I'm just trying to get my feet wet using Fedora Core. I want to set up a
> test server for http, ftp, and possibly mail services. Any tips or guidance
> would be great. I was able to get the httpd running but am having some
> difficulty connecting to the ftp server. I get the following error:
>
> Connected to 192.168.4.95
> 220 test06.rentawheel.us FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
> User (192.168.4.95:(none)): dadams
> 530 Must perform authentication before identifying USER.

The default xinetd configuration for gssftp calls ftpd with the "-a"
flag, which requires clients to authenticate using strong authentication
first, and it appears that your client software isn't doing that.

Which client software are you using?  Do you already have Kerberos
credentials for 'dadams' before you try to connect to the server?

If you're not looking to be using Kerberos, then I suggest turning off
the gssftp service and using vsftpd instead.

HTH,

Nalin