mv hard drives with lvm/selinux ?

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 18:23:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:53 -0600, Justin Conover wrote:
> Just wondering if i'm going to move 2x160GB sata drives in raid 1 that
> are on there own volume with SELinux turned on.  Can I simply move
> these to another box and be able to read them or does this become
> really tricky?

If you use mv, cp -a --preserve=all, or rsync -X, security contexts of
files should be preserved.

However, if you have a default FC3 install you're already using LVM, you
might consider simply placing the raid device as part of your existing
volume group, and not worrying about copying/moving data around.  At
least if it works to do RAID under LVM :)