(newbie)Troubles with SE-Linux

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 01:22:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 18:48 -0600, Paul Rumin wrote:
> I would like to preface this with "I am not new to linux,  but new to
> SE-Linux."  I am not sure where to begin with this problem.  After a
> clean install of Fedore Core 3 (at least I thought clean),  I tried to
> login in with a user account a few days later.  This did not work,  so
> I logged in as root to change my user's password.
>
> 1. First,  I tried changing the user's password with passwd. Although
> the program seemed to accept the new password.  I still was unable to
> login in afterwards.

Unless you're using the "strict" policy (i.e. not the default "targeted"
policy), it is very unlikely your problem has anything to do with
SELinux.  Do you see any "avc: denied" messages in /var/log/messages?

My guess is that the login was disabled for other reasons than the
password.  Anyways, I'd suggest moving this to fedora-list, until you
are sure the problem relates to SELinux.  One thing you should do is
check /var/log/messages for any other (non-SELinux) log messages that
may be relevant.