Desktop apps interoperability

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 28 15:05:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 16:09 +0200, Tom wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:46:24AM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> > I was suggesting that content should be kept in a sub-folder of /home,
> > not that it should be kept somewhere else. I'm sorry for the
> > misunderstanding. I am suggesting that this folder(s) should be
> > standartized somehow. I am saying that settings should be kept separate.
>
> ah! What you want is /home/tom/.etc/ ?

Something like that - yes.

> Aunt Ellie downloads a movie. It goes into the Download folder (or
> really anywhere, it doesn't matter much). She drags the movie icon to
> the movie player and lets it drop. Movie plays.
>
> Behind the scenes, the file is relabeled or moved into another
> directory where mplayer can access it.

How does this relate to the SElinux work to secure the X server?
Should the desktop environment be trusted?

.. so what you're saying is that nautilus (running as user_t, which has
read access to the file in question, as well as appropriate relabel
access), should determine its mime type, or use the DND target app, and
associate a context with that, which the mime handler can play, then
relabel file to that context (can't copy - what if it's huge?).... and
do this for every mime handler I attempt to open it with?

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University