Odd boolean in /etc/selinux/strict/booleans?

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 18:03:23 UTC 2005

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

>>>Prevent users from running games? Why do we want to do that?
>>>What's wrong with the current approach to doing this...namely..don't
>>>install any games, and then the users won't be running them.
>>>

>>I am thinking of the situation where you might want to users in a
>>certain role allowed to play games and others not, on a shared
>>machine.  A more interesting example would be to disallow sysadm from
>>running games, mozilla ...
>>
>>Basically a user accidently runs mozilla or a game while newroled to
>>sysadm.  Might be nice to have that error out.
>>Ordinarily a transition happens but still It would be nice to prevent this.
>>

>I actually see SElinux as suited for the *opposite* phenomenon.
>Particularly, while on a legacy machine running mozilla and company as
>root would not be a very bright idea, on a SElinux-constrained machine
>it shouldn't be so bad (it's confined, how much damage can it do?).

Well actually the more I think about this, this is the  job of roles.
But the problem here is
not disable-trans as no exec.  I think we need to maybe stop marking
certain defined
domains as exec_type.  To prevent all users from being able to execute
the application
without a transition.

I think lots of users have had the experience of accidentally running
something as root when
they did not want too.  Even in your example I disable-trans for games
and then accidentally
run some game as sysadm, bad things can happen.

Dan