vsftpd with selinux on FC3

James Z. Li james.zheng.li at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:46:38 UTC 2005

Thanks a lot for your help.

I installed FC4T3 to learn from its ftpd policy. However its policy seems
not working well. After 'service vsftpd start', I cannot make ftp connection
to it. Error messages are:
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
Error sending status request (Operation not permitted)
Login failed.
ftp> ls
230 Login successful.
Passive mode address scan failure. Shouldn't happen!
ftp> bye
215 UNIX Type: L8

I go through the targeted policy for ftpd and write my own policy for vsftpd
on FC3.

 vsftpd.te
#################################
#
# Rules for the vsftpd_t domain.
#
daemon_domain(vsftpd, `, auth_chkpwd')
etc_domain(vsftpd)
can_network(vsftpd_t)

vsftpd.fc
/usr/sbin/vsftpd                --      system_u:object_r:vsftpd_exec_t
/var/run/vsftpd.pid             --      system_u:object_r:vsftpd_var_run_t
/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf         --      system_u:object_r:vsftpd_etc_t

I know they are lots of scenarios missing here, like actions related to nfs and
samba. I plan to keep adding more rules into these two files based on parsing
avc error messages. Currently, the above policy works well on my home pc
for both anonymous and non-anonymous ftp services without generating even
one AVC error message. Interesting ?!

James