Apache, Virtual Servers and SELinux

Michael Shaw mshaw at dowco.com
Fri Nov 11 20:02:12 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I installed Apache on an FC4 machine, and I was trying to get Virtual
servers working.  To do so, I had the following name based virtual
servers.  I placed the following directives (among others) in my
httpd.conf file:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
# Virtual host default
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.25>
     ServerName default
    DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
     LogLevel debug
     HostNameLookups off
</VirtualHost>

# Virtual host michael
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.25>
    ServerAdmin mshaw at dowco.com
    DocumentRoot /home/michael/public_html/www
    ServerName michael
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
</VirtualHost>

<Directory "/var/www/html">
        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/*/public_html/www">
        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>

I was  very fristrated that the virtual server michael get giving me
access denied errors.  I disabled SELinux and everythign worked.  So I
tried fiddling away with all the HTTPD settings but cou;dn't get it to
work with SELinux on, including "Allow HTTPD to read home directories".

I have seen references to this on the Internet but not a cure.  Which
check box am I missing?