[patch] CUPS 1.2 SELinux policy changes...

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Nov 12 13:18:30 UTC 2005

Russell Coker wrote:
> On Saturday 12 November 2005 02:47, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>> I removed the non-CUPS rules because the mix of software makes
>> debugging and validating the CUPS policies that much harder, and it
>> makes sense to maintain the policies for separate projects
>> separately...
>
> Firstly, please test your patches first.  There is no name_connect access in
> the unix_stream_socket class or a seteuid capability.

Sorry, I had tested the file context changes but not the rest (still
getting my feet wet).  I mainly wanted to a) alert folks to a problem
with the current policy and b) get feedback.

> Please don't remove comments such as "this is not ideal, and allowing setattr
> access to cupsd_etc_t is wrong".  That's a design flaw in cupsd, eventually
> we want to fix it.  Removing the comment decreases the chance of such a
> design flaw ever being corrected.

Well, given that the comment does not describe the "design flaw" in
enough detail to be useful, and that no one has posted this "design
flaw" to any of the CUPS forums or the STR page on the CUPS site, it
seemed like I was removing a comment that was confusing and
uninformative.

What is the design flaw?

> The hplip and ptal policies are OK in the same file as cups.  They are
> printer-specific programs.  Having separate lpd and cups files is more of a
> problem.  As we seem to be moving away from the traditional lpd we will
> probably change things in this regard.
>
> When there is policy involving access between initrc_t and the domains/types
> defined in a daemon policy file then this belongs in the policy file for the
> daemon.  Important files such as initrc.te should not have sections for all
> the many daemons that need to interact with them.

Fair enough.  Can we at least segment the rules in each of the files
so that it is clear which rules apply to which sub-programs?