SELinux and Big Brother

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Nov 15 02:00:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Stephen Walton wrote:

> I just got Big Brother working on Fedora Core 4 with SELinux enabled.
> The key steps:
>
> 1.  With SELinux turned on, apache adamantly refuses to follow symbolic
> links, even if FollowSymLinks is set in httpd.conf. (Is this a bug?) The
> only workaround I've been able to find is a bind mount:

Don't know but...

> # mkdir /var/www/html/bb
> # mount -o bind /home/bb/bb/www /var/www/html/bb

Why don't you simply put something like the following in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/bb.conf:

#
# Big Brother is a web based network monitoring program
#

Alias /bb /home/bb/bb/www

<Directory /home/bb/bb/www/>
   order deny,allow
   deny from all
   allow from 127.0.0.1
   allow from 192.168.0
</Directory>

Season to taste of course.

That way you do not have to mess with symlinks.

> 2.  Change the context:
>
> # chcon -R -h -t httpd_user_content_t /home/bb/bb/www
>
> 3. Change the two 'mv' commands in bb-display.sh to 'cp' commands so
> that the contexts get preserved when the page is regenerated.

That sounds like the piece I was missing.

Thanks.

> Of course in the above I'm assuming DocumentRoot in apache is set to
> /var/www/html and that your Big Brother server files are in
> /home/bb/bb.  Change as appropriate for your setup.

That is a standard bb setup, so it should work for most.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com