SELinux enforcing disallows opening floppy drive in Nautilus

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 08:39:02 UTC 2006

"J. K. Cliburn" <jcliburn at gmail.com> wrote:
>When I try to open a floppy drive in Nautilus, nothing happens except
>the following message is logged in /var/log/messages.
>
>Apr 11 20:02:02 osprey kernel: audit(1144803722.736:26): avc:  denied
>{ write } for  pid=6730 comm="mount" name="mtab" dev=hda3 ino=6843966
>scontext=user_u:system_r:mount_t:s0 tcontext=user_u:object_r:etc_t:s0
>tclass=file
>
>What do I need to do to enable opening the floppy drive?

I don't have an FC5 system to hand at the moment, so take this with
a pinch of salt.  I had similar problems with /etc/mtab, except it
was umount that couldn't write to it when the system was shutting
down.  The issue seems to be with the type of /etc/mtab.  Try:

   chcon -t etc_runtime_t /etc/mtab

I was going to report this but it seemed to sort itself out on my
system for no reason that I could discern.

Ron