dump/restore and SElinux security context problem

Kayvan A. Sylvan kayvan at sylvan.com
Mon Apr 24 07:48:01 UTC 2006

[This was originally posted on fedora-list, and despite some helpful
 answers, the problem still remains. --Kayvan]

Hi everyone.

I was trying to upgrade from FC4 to FC5, but my root partition was too small
to accomodate the DVD image. So, I had to resize some partitions. GNU parted
was useless in that task (see Redhat Bugzilla Bug 90894).

Finally, I used "dump" to create a snapshot of a filesystem, then, using
the FC5 DVD to boot into rescue mode, used "restore" to recreate it.

The problem: during the restore, for every file, I get messages like this:

    restore: lsetxattr ./System.map-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 failed: Invalid argument

This feels like it's related to SELinux. In fact, looking at
the restored files with "ls -Z", I see that they are all unlabeled.

If I don't use the rescue CD, and instead, on a running system where SELinux
is enabled, do the following:

1) setenforce 0
2) restore from the dump.
3) setenforce 1

Then, the restored files are in their correct security context.

How do I get this same result (files completely restored, along with
their extended attributes) while using the rescue CD?

My end goal is to be able to do a dump, boot into a rescue mode,
resize partitions, format new filesystems and restore the dump, and have
all files retain all their attributes (including their SELinux context
information).

Thanks for any answers.

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan, | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)