FC5: Problem with acroread and CISCO VPN

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 27 14:54:46 UTC 2006

Stephan Groß wrote:

>>> after some googling I found following advice that worked for me to enable
>>> acroread again:
>>>
>>> 1. Start "System" > "Administration" > "Security Level and Firewall"
>>> 2. On the "SELinux" tab click on "Modify SELinux Policy > Compatibility"
>>> 3. Tick the check box next to "Allow the use of shared libraries with
>>> Text Relocation".
>> A better fix is to label the acroread files correctly, which only
>> "opens" the protection for acroread and not every process on the system:
>>
>> I believe you need:
>> # chcon -t textrel_shlib_t \
>> 	/usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/lib/*.so \
>> 	/usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/SPPlugins/*.apl \
>> 	/usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins/*.api
>
> I have checked that. As I am using the original RPM packets provided by Adobe
> the files are located in /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux and a
>
> chcon -t textrel_shlib_t \
> 	/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/lib/*.so
>
> seems to be sufficient to run acroread and also use the plugin in Firefox.
> BTW, what are SPPlugins and plug_ins for?

Dunno; I don't use it myself (evince is fine for my needs) and I picked
up the need to fix the two sets of plugins from various posts on
fedora-list.

> However, thank you Paul for providing this more customized solution. I assume,
> that I only have to change the type context of the libraries distributed with
> the Cisco VPN client accordingly to run it with a "fully" enabled selinux.

Probably, yes.

If that works, please provide details of what needed to be changed so
that it can make it into the Core policy.

Paul.