dump/restore (or "star") and SELinux problems

Kayvan A. Sylvan kayvan at sylvan.com
Fri Apr 28 02:19:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:54:57PM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:

> Did you try following the instructions in the SELinux FAQ:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2978236
>
> In particular, using -xattr and -H=exustar options.  -acl is specific to
> POSIX ACLs I believe.

I created the archive using the -xattr and -Hexustar options. With my
system up, I can restore it to a different directory and the files
are correctly labeled.

However, booted into the FC5 rescue mode, I get the following message for
every file:

  star: Can not setup security context for 'testfile'. Not created.

The files end up looking like this afterwards:

# ls -lZ
-rw-r--r--  root     root     system_u:object_r:unlabeled_t    testfile

So, it looks as if using dump/restore or "star", I have the same
inability to preserve security context. This is a practical problem for
me since I am wanting to recreate my partitions using an LVM.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan, | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)