FC5: Problem with acroread and CISCO VPN

Stephan Groß st.gross at gmx.de
Thu Apr 27 10:00:56 UTC 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 09:50, Paul Howarth wrote:

> > > in Fedora Core 5 selinux blocks execution of the CISCO vpnclient, as
> > > well as acroread:
> > >
> > > [klaus.steinberger at noname ~]$ acroread
> > > /usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading
> > > shared libraries: /usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/lib/libJP2K.so:
> > > cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
> > > [klaus.steinberger at noname ~]$
> >
> > after some googling I found following advice that worked for me to enable
> > acroread again:
> >
> > 1. Start "System" > "Administration" > "Security Level and Firewall"
> > 2. On the "SELinux" tab click on "Modify SELinux Policy > Compatibility"
> > 3. Tick the check box next to "Allow the use of shared libraries with
> > Text Relocation".
>
> A better fix is to label the acroread files correctly, which only
> "opens" the protection for acroread and not every process on the system:
>
> I believe you need:
> # chcon -t textrel_shlib_t \
> 	/usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/lib/*.so \
> 	/usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/SPPlugins/*.apl \
> 	/usr/lib/acroread/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins/*.api

I have checked that. As I am using the original RPM packets provided by Adobe
the files are located in /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux and a

chcon -t textrel_shlib_t \
	/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/lib/*.so

seems to be sufficient to run acroread and also use the plugin in Firefox.
BTW, what are SPPlugins and plug_ins for?

However, thank you Paul for providing this more customized solution. I assume,
that I only have to change the type context of the libraries distributed with
the Cisco VPN client accordingly to run it with a "fully" enabled selinux.