Need help with moving the data directory of Postgresql

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Feb 10 08:04:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 20:10 +0100, Markus Lindholm wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a FC4 box (all updates applied) on which I have a Postgresql
> server (standard fedora rpms) and I'm running targeted selinux policy.
> The problem is that I cannot move the data directory away
> from /var/lib/pgsql/data with out turning selinux off.
>
> Is there any HOWTOs out there that would be helpful?
>
> I've tried using chcon so that the permission would be identical
> between the new and the old
>
> [root at zeus ~]# ls -ldZ /var/lib/pgsql/data/
> drwx------  postgres postgres
> system_u:object_r:postgresql_db_t /var/lib/pgsql/data/
> [root at zeus ~]# ls -lZd /mnt/raid/db/pgsql/data/
> drwx------  postgres postgres
> system_u:object_r:postgresql_db_t /mnt/raid/db/pgsql/data/
>
> But I still get permission denied when I try to start postgresql !! If
> I mark the "Disable SELinux protection for Postgresql daemon" in the
> SELinux GUI, then it starts up fine.
> But what would be the correct way to handle this?

Why are you moving the data directory in the first place?

If it's for space reasons, an alternative approach might be simply to
mount your target partition on /var/lib/pgsql/data; if you're not using
an entire partition, you could use a bind mount:

# mount --bind /mnt/raid/db/pgsql/data /var/lib/pgsql/data

Paul.