du confusion

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Feb 20 23:06:30 UTC 2006

du currently displays the total count of blocks used for the file including
block(s) for XATTRs.  This means that every file is reported as having a
block used for the security.selinux XATTR (even though those blocks are
shared extensively on typical SE Linux systems).

A more useful display on SE Linux systems is to have the --apparent-size
option of du enabled.  I suggest that we have a default install of Fedora
alias "du" to "du --apparent-size".

Currently in a default install we have rm aliased to "rm -i" (and similar for
mv and cp), so it seems that there is a good precedent for this sort of
thing.

What do you think?