Postfix virtual and Dovecot

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Jan 9 18:51:32 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 01:10pm, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 14:16 -0500, Karyl F. Stein wrote:
> > Any ideas on how I can get the Postfix virtual transport to deliver to a
> > maildir and have Dovecot pick it up?  I can get one or the other to
> > work, but not both.  The maildirs are in /srv/mirror/mail.  If I make
> > that directory have the postfix_spool_t context, Postfix writes there
> > fine, but Dovecot can't access it.  If I make the directory have
> > mail_spool_t, then Dovecot can access it, but Postfix can't.  As far as
> > I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a common context.
> >
> > I'm running FC4 with the targeted policy.
>
> Perhaps postfix works differently to sendmail but I use procmail to
> deliver mail received by sendmail to maildirs under /var/spool/mail,
> which is mail_spool_t and hence works fine with dovecot.

Well, Postfix does work differently from Sendmail...but I don't think that has
much to do with his problem here.

Also, either maildrop or procmail (or both, if you really want to go nuts) can
be used with either Postfix or Sendmail...they do the same thing.  I like
maildrop better, myself, because it seems to work with less overhead than
procmail (I've never done benchmarks, so this is just one of those
seems-to-my-gut kinda things) and because the syntax for the ~/.mailfilter
files is less cryptic than procmail recipes; it's much easier for new users
to learn and be comfortable.

> (having just looked at the policy sources, the one for postfix is vastly
> more complicated than the sendmail one so it does indeed appear to be
> different...)

Yeah, I don't know why there seems to be no real overlap in the Sendmail &
Postfix policies, though I can guess.  I'm wondering if there needs to be a
common type.  mail_spool_t would seem to fit the bill, but I haven't really
looked too closely at this one.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor