Postfix virtual and Dovecot

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Jan 9 18:58:56 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 09:23pm, Karyl F. Stein wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >I use this :
> >
> >I. In /etc/postfix/main.cf
> >
> >mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
> >
> >II. In /etc/procmailrc
> >
> >MAILDIR=$HOME/.maildir
> >DEFAULT=./
> >LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/logfile
> >
> >and if you want
> >
> >SPAM=.Spam.Auto/
> >
> >:0fw: .spamc.lock
> >
> >* < 256000
> >
> >| spamc
> >|
> >:0

> >$SPAM
> >
> >III. In /etc/dovecot.conf
> >default_mail_env = maildir:%h/.maildir
> >
> >Regards,
>
> Thanks, Nicolas.  My email users do not have UNIX accounts, which makes
> things a little more difficult.

Both maildrop and procmail are configured using a file in the user's home
directory.  Perhaps what you need for your users is Sieve, which has a nice
client/server protocol for editing filtering rules and has a nice web
front-end that is actually reasonably usable (for a web interface) so even
users who don't understand how to write a regex can make good useful rules.

One thing odd about that web interface...it only seems to pickup new IMAP
folders during login...if I add a new folder to my IMAP store, then I have to
log out and log back in AFTER my email client actually communicates with the
IMAP server and really creates the new IMAP folder on the server.

Sieve comes as part of the Cyrus IMAP server, so you would have to switch.
it's a little more work to stand up than Dovecot, but it's not bad at all.

> However, your suggestion of using an
> alternate transport brought me to maildrop.  It looks like maildrop
> might work nicely for what I need and seems to be documented in
> Postfix.  However, I'd rather not install another layer of complexity if
> possible.  Can you do something like create a "local" policy that won't
> be overwritten when a new targeted policy RPM is released?  That way I
> could configure Postfix to have write access to mail_spool_t.

Like I said in my other reply, this was my first thought.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor