error in 'make load'

gf gyromagnetic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 13:02:37 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, Martin Ebourne <lists at ebourne.me.uk> wrote:
> Stephen Smalley wrote:
>
> I've just come across this error myself. I've got two updated FC4
> machines here both doing the same thing.
>
> Turns out it's a 'cd' in the Makefile that is echoing the new directory
> and getting caught up in the destination file. The odd thing is that my
> shell setup has never had cd echoing the destination (it would annoy me
> - if I've just cd'd, I know where to!), so this must be something from
> Fedora.
>
> Anyhow, the attached patch fixes it for me. Any chance this can make it
> upstream?
>
> [Stephen, thanks for the clue that let me to find this!]
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin.

Hi,
With Stephen's help, I reached the same conclusion.
I should have cc'ed my latter emails to the list.
I think that the problem arises due to the presence of a non-blank
CDPATH. It appears that POSIX.2 says that if a nonempty directory from
CDPATH is used to find the directory to change to, the new directory
name is echoed to stdout, regardless of whether or not the shell is
interactive. Aside from the patch that Martin provided, 'unsetting'
CDPATH cures the problem for me.

- g