SELinux denying chcon -- OUCH!

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 21:14:49 UTC 2006

Stephen Smalley wrote:

> mount_t is a domain - a type for a process running the mount program.
> Not a file type to assign to mount point directories.  Not sure what
> type to recommend for what you describe - Dan?  Likely need a generic
> mnt_t or similar with the mountpoint attribute?

I have changed the type of the mount points to mnt_t.  It doesn't look
like this will cause a problem for httpd, because once the filesystem is
mounted, the type of its root directory appears to "mask" the type of
the mount point.

I should have mentioned before that I have no problem mounting these
filesystems as a logged in root user (mount -a); the problem only occurs
when booting the system.

After changing the type of the mount points and rebooting, I am now
getting this:

audit(1143579721.063:15): avc:  denied  { search } for  pid=1709
comm="mount" name="/" dev=md8 ino=2
scontext=system_u:system_r:mount_t:s0
tcontext=system_u:object_r:unlabeled_t:s0 tclass=dir

It looks like the mount command is looking for something in the root
directory of the filesystem, but I have no idea what that might be.

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net