noexec mount-option with selinux?

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Fri May 12 14:22:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 15:46 +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> > When you want to change the quotas or set them, run:
> > # setquota username block-soft block-hard inode-soft inode-hard -a
>
> But I'm looking for a clean way to do it without workarounds with selinux!
>
> The system includes a webserver and when someone uses the fileupload of
> PHP, then the uploaded file will be stored in /tmp. So a quota of just 1
> MB on /tmp for every user is not enough.
>
> > If the quota limits need to be as strict as your first message indicates, then
> > I'm surprised you haven't already had /tmp/ on a separate filesystem, with
> > separate quotas set.  Additionally, I always split off /tmp/ so *if* it
> > fills, it doesn't "damage" my root filesystem.
>
> Actually, /home is not part of the root-partition and /tmp could be a
> symlink to /home/tmp so both can use the some quota definitions. But how
> can I setup a system-wide policy that disallows to execute files from
> /tmp or /home/tmp?

SELinux permission checks are pair-based checks between the process'
domain and the object type (or to be precise, triple-based, with the
security class as the third component).  They aren't analogous to inode
flags.  So you can achieve the effect of such a policy by not allowing
any process domain execute permission to any file type that can exist
in /tmp, but not in the way you describe.