noexec mount-option with selinux?

Thomas Bleher bleher at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri May 12 18:22:41 UTC 2006

* Martin Ebourne <lists at ebourne.me.uk> [2006-05-12 17:19]:
> On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 15:46 +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> > > If the quota limits need to be as strict as your first message indicates, then
> > > I'm surprised you haven't already had /tmp/ on a separate filesystem, with
> > > separate quotas set.  Additionally, I always split off /tmp/ so *if* it
> > > fills, it doesn't "damage" my root filesystem.
> >
> > Actually, /home is not part of the root-partition and /tmp could be a
> > symlink to /home/tmp so both can use the some quota definitions. But how
> > can I setup a system-wide policy that disallows to execute files from
> > /tmp or /home/tmp?
>
> That sounds like a very hard way of doing things. And difficult to prove
> correct too.
>
> How about:
>
> mkdir /home/tmp
> mount -o bind,noexec,nosuid /home/tmp /tmp

I don't think this will work. I just tried to do it and I could still
execute files in the mounted dir. I thought that per-mountpoint noexec
flags were in the kernel, but I can't find any definitive information on
it and fs/namespace.c is not the best information source either. (Anyone
knows why this doesn't work? It would be really neat.)

The other issue here is that the user still can execute files through
/home/tmp. So you should --move the dir instead of bind-mounting it.

Thomas