How to build a local (unionfs) policy module for Fedora Core 5 (kernel 2.6.17)?

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Wed Oct 4 14:15:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 19:12 +0200, Andreas Sachs wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’m trying to build a local unionfs policy module for Fedora Core 5
> (kernel 2.6.17). SElinux is set to enforcing and the policy type is
> targeted.
>

> After I mount a union, I get the following in my /var/log/messages
>
> Nov  6 13:34:41 localhost kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev unionfs,
> type unionfs), not configured for labeling
>

> I have written a local unionfs policy module:
>
> policy_module(unionfs, 1.0)
>
> require {
>
>         type fs_t;
>
> };
>
> fs_use_xattr unionfs system_u:object_r:fs_t;
>

> But I get a syntax error:
>
> Compiling targeted unionfs module
>
> /usr/bin/checkmodule:  loading policy configuration from
> tmp/unionfs.tmp
>
> unionfs.te:8:ERROR 'syntax error' at token 'fs_use_xattr' on line
> 59102:
>
> fs_use_xattr unionfs system_u:object_r:fs_t;
>
> /usr/bin/checkmodule:  error(s) encountered while parsing
> configuration
>
> make: *** [tmp/unionfs.mod] Fehler 1
>

> How can I do it right?

Policy modules (other than the base) only support a subset of the
language, and fs_use_xattr is not supported in  non-base module.

Thus, your options (as previously stated) are:
1) Grab the policy .src.rpm or upstream sources, modify them, and
rebuild, or
2) Use a context= mount to set a single fixed label on the entire mount.