selinux preventing clamd and amavisd even in Permissive

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Sat Dec 1 14:51:38 UTC 2007

> There are others, but selinux should only log the AVCs in Permissive.
> Right? But the selinux system is actually doing denials.

Just for clarification, setroubleshoot will still report a denial in
permissive mode because it is logged as a denial by the audit system,
however the action should still be permitted.

There is an open bug report requesting the text in the setroubleshoot
message to be modified when the system is in permissive mode to say
"SELinux would have denied" instead of denied. We're going to be fixing
that, it's not quite as trivial as it seems because all the messages
have been translated into other languages so you can't just do a simple
string substitution and retain correct grammar in another language, but
we will be fixing this one way or another.

In theory if you're spam filtering is not working it shouldn't be
because SELinux is actually denying anything because you're in
permissive mode. I would first look elsewhere. I'm not saying it's
impossible it's SELinux, but because you're in permissive mode it's very
unlikely.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>