gdm + selinux problem

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Mon Dec 17 14:13:27 UTC 2007

>> #============= xdm_t ==============
>> allow xdm_t initrc_tmp_t:dir { getattr setattr };
>>
>> #============= xdm_xserver_t ==============
>> allow xdm_xserver_t initrc_tmp_t:dir { write getattr search add_name };
>> allow xdm_xserver_t initrc_tmp_t:sock_file create;
>>
>> Now... how would this have happened? Should I just run the above
>> commands to fix everything, or is there a deeper bug / issue?
>>
> Looks like you might have some labeliing problems, but first update to
> the latest version of selinux-policy
>
> yum -y upgrade selinux-policy
>

> And see if most of these have been fixed.

Daniel,

After updating another machine (F7 -> F8), I still get gdm failures due
to selinux, as originally reported. The problem has not be fixed by
recent rpms. See below:

[root at titus log]# rpm -qa | grep selinux
libselinux-python-2.0.43-1.fc8
selinux-policy-devel-3.0.8-64.fc8
libselinux-devel-2.0.43-1.fc8
selinux-policy-3.0.8-64.fc8
selinux-policy-targeted-3.0.8-64.fc8
libselinux-2.0.43-1.fc8

[root at titus log]# ps ax | grep gdm
  2264 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
  2355 ?        Ss     0:00 /bin/sh /etc/gdm/XKeepsCrashing
  2372 ?        S      0:00 /usr/libexec/gdmopen -l /bin/sh -c
/etc/gdm/XKeepsCrashing -noopen
  2373 tty7     Ss+    0:00 /bin/sh /etc/gdm/XKeepsCrashing -noopen
  2779 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep gdm

[root at titus log]# audit2allow -i messages
...snip...
#============= xdm_t ==============
allow xdm_t default_t:file write;
allow xdm_t initrc_tmp_t:dir { getattr search setattr };
allow xdm_xserver_t initrc_tmp_t:dir { write remove_name getattr search
add_name };
allow xdm_xserver_t initrc_tmp_t:sock_file { create unlink };

Disabling selinux lets gdm / xorg run correctly.

I tried removing all selinux rpms, rm -rf /etc/selinux, re-installing
selinux, and touching /.autorelabel. No better.

- Mike