selinux and oracle

Darwin H. Webb thethirddoorontheleft at verizon.net
Fri Jan 12 22:45:57 UTC 2007

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Jack Null wrote:
>> I have a RHEL4U4 server that will become an Oracle 10gR2 server in
>> three weeks.  Almost all of the documentation I have seen about
>> installing oracle on a selinux enabled server says to turn off
>> selinux.  Only 1 document said that oracle and selinux can function
>> together.  So can oracle and selinux play nice or do I have to turn
>> it off?
> They should be able to play nice.  The only place they might hit would
> be if there is a web interface.
> Oracle might also be seeking to eek out every bit of performace.
> SELinux can add some load between 2-20% depending on which performance
> test you run.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adam

"Oracle might also be seeking to eek out every bit of performace.
SELinux can add some load between 2-20% depending on which performance
test you run."

I thoht SELinux's overhead was only for the transitions and file access
thereby being a small amount of this total time (est. at 7% untuned.)

The web app would be using Oracle's security with a MyWebAppUsername.
Yes / No?

Could you explain this overhead and where and what is doing it, please.
I don't see where it would be any greater than 7% of the volume of
transitions and file accesses (which would be different web files. And
that would be an Apache overhead whether a DBMS was being used or not.

Thank you,

Darwin