selinux and oracle

Adam Turk bofh1234 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:19:07 UTC 2007

Hello again,

I was able to install Oracle 10gR2 on RHEL4U4 with selinux in targeted
enforcing mode.  No selinux messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg.  I found
a couple of scripts that will start and shutdown the database and enterprise
manager on boot and shutdown.  I had a couple of problems with this part and
I am not sure if selinux is the problem or not.  Let me explain then I will
post the code.

I created a file called oracle in /etc/rc.d/init.d.  I ran chkconfig oracle
reset.  I then ran service oracle start.  The database wouldn't start.
oracle calls the script dbstart which needs ORACLE_HOME defined.  If I add a
export ORACLE_HOME=/path/to/oracle to dbstart everything works.  If I remove
the export then the database won't start.  I was under the assumption that
when I set ORACLE_HOME in oracle it would be able to be used by dbstart.
This does not appear to be true.  Is this a selinux problem, or did I
misunderstand something?  To get the database to start I added the export
ORACLE_HOME to /etc/profile.  Also when I do a init 6 or init 0 the oracle
service doesn't shutdown i.e. no shutting down oracle ................

Thanks,

#!/bin/bash
#
# chkconfig: 35 95 1
EMS
#
# DON'T FORGET TO MODIFY /etc/oratab AND CHANGE THE LAST VARIBLE TO Y
# chmod 750 this file
export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
export ORACLE_BIN=$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export ORACLE_SID=jrd
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
export ORACLE_USER=oracle

export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_BIN

if [ ! -f $ORACLE_BIN/dbstart ]
then
    echo "Oracle startup: cannot start"
    exit
fi

# see how we are called:
case $1 in
    start)
        su - $ORACLE_USER -c  $ORACLE_BIN/dbstart
#        su - $ORACLE_USER -c "$ORACLE_BIN/emctl start dbconsole"
        ;;
    stop)
#        su - $ORACLE_USER -c "$ORACLE_BIN/emctl stop dbconsole"
        su - $ORACLE_USER -c  $ORACLE_BIN/dbshut
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
        ;;