documentation plans

Ken mantaray_1 at cox.net
Tue Jun 19 19:21:31 UTC 2007

Karsten Wade wrote:
> Since the release of Fedora 7, we have been watching the statistics for
> our new content location, http://docs.fedoraproject.org.  In a recent
> thread on f-docs-l[1], Google referrer statistics[2] show that SELinux
> questions are a sizeable percentage (over 10%) of incoming search terms.
>
> Unfortunately.  Why?  Because:
>
> * The content they are hitting most is the FC3 SELinux FAQ
> * The top search keyphrase is "disable selinux", with "selinux disable"
> as number four (all of which take you to the FC3 FAQ)
> * Users cannot find anything useful that we'd want them to have
>
> The proposal[3] of the Fedora Docs team is this:
>
> 1. We gather all content that we have[4] that is not Fedora-specific and
> push that up to grow and be maintained on selinuxproject.org
>
> 2. A Fedora Docs writer, Paulo Santos, will help watch that content on
> selinuxproject.org.  This becomes a new location for us to collaborate
> on distro-neutral community docs.
>
> 3. Paulo works up Fedora-specific content, from what exists in Fedora
> and added to by all of you, and that becomes new "SELinux for Fedora"
> content that Fedora Docs plans to maintain.  Your help is much needed.
>
> 4. In all the locations where you find SELinux content
> in .*fedoraproject.org, we repopulate or redirect to a single Fedora
> SELinux content page.  From that page we link to the upstream canonical
> docs on selinuxproject.org and provide the Fedora variant on that
> content.
>
> Barring someone stepping up and putting a partial or full-time resource
> on this writing, a job I no longer do at Red Hat, this is going to be
> the best way to generate and maintain SELinux open content.  By using
> open collaboration tools (Wiki, Plone), it will be *much* easier for
> someone such as Dan Walsh to do a brain dump and have it be polished,
> formalized, and published.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Karsten
>
> [1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-June/msg00084.html
>
> [2] Use your browser's keyword search to find SELinux/selinux stuff:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/awstats/docs/awstats.docs.fedoraproject.org.html
>
> [3] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-June/msg00077.html
>
> [4] This page has a short list of locations we are going to pull content
> from:  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SELinux

I just wanted to let you know that I believe this is an excellent idea;
and also share my observation that permission-specific documentation (at
the basic or "atomic" level) seems to have been a low priority so far,
and I believe it would be very helpful to many people to have this type
of documentation available.

-Ken-