kernel_t and rawip

Ken mantaray_1 at cox.net
Fri May 25 18:53:56 UTC 2007

I inadvertently sent this to cpebenito at tresys.com rather than to the
list.  Here it is for the list:

Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
 > On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 15:11 -0700, Ken wrote:
 >> I became interested in SELinux primarily to increase the level of
security I have when I am connected to the Internet, and until recently
I have not allowed kernel_t to send or receive rawip over the Internet.
   I have recently allowed this because I was having difficulty making
an online payment without this enabled.  Since enabling this, I have
wondered what the security implications of allowing kernel_t to send and
receive rawip on the Internet are;

 > Its normal behavior, the kernel needs the permission so can handle ICMP
 > traffic, e.g. ping replies, destination unreachable, etc.

     I am aware of ICMP traffic, but even the best programs and
protocols can be unexpectedly vulnerable to exploitation; and from a
logical perspective, I have (completely and unconditionally) opened my
system to allow a particular type of communication with outside
connections -- at least with respect to SELinux.  My interest is in
learning what the logical limits are with respect to what can be sent
and received as rawip to and from kernel_t; and what the limitations of
what can be done with the data are.  I was hoping there is a document
compiled somewhere that provides this (and similar) information.

- Ken -