AW: RHEL5 + strict policy: Unprivileged user cron - "Unauthorized SELinux context"

Harald Beugler-Bell speichertechniken at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 30 00:52:29 UTC 2007

I got a similar problem when trying to run cron as root. It looks like selinux is unable to get the correct user context of the crond process

crond[5587]: (*system*) NULL security context for user ()
crond[5587]: CRON (root) ERROR: failed to change SELinux context
crond[5587]: CRON (root) ERROR: cannot set security context

The file context of the cron file is set according to default context:
$ ls -lZ /etc/cron.d/testing-cron
-rw-r--r--  root root system_u:object_r:system_cron_spool_t:s0 /etc/cron.d/testing-cron

$ ps -efZ | grep crond
staff_u:system_r:crond_t:s0     root     14922     1  0 00:19 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/crond start

$ /usr/sbin/semanage login -l | egrep "root|system"

root                      root                      s0-s0:c0.c1023

system_u                  system_u                  s0-s0:c0.c1023

bash-3.1# cat /etc/redhat-release

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
vixie-cron-4.1-66.1.el5
libselinux-1.33.4-2.el5
libselinux-python-1.33.4-2.el5
selinux-policy-strict-2.4.6-79.el5