Write denied, but no write attempted!?!

Göran Uddeborg goeran at uddeborg.se
Sun Sep 16 20:42:13 UTC 2007

I'm using xdm rather than gdm.  SELinux prevents
/sbin/pam_console_apply (pam_console_t) "write" to /var/log/xdm.log
(var_log_t).  It happens once every time someone logs in or out.  See
the attached mail from SETroubleshoot for an example.

To understand what is going on, I tried to strace the processes.  But
pam_console_apply doesn't attempt to write anything at all!  See the
attached (compressed) strace from pid 4480, the process mentioned in
the SETroubleshoot mail.

Xdm has stderr pointing to /var/log/xdm.log, so it's not unlikely that
the open fd is inherited by pam_console_apply.  But if the inheritance
itself was disallowed, wouldn't it be a "use" that would be denied by
SELinux rather than a "write"?

What am I missing?

(The system is not up-to-date.  It is possible this message would go
away with an upgrade.  I'm not looking for a way to get rid of the
message here, I'm trying to understand what is going on.)