su user -c problem

Davide Bolcioni dblistsub-fedora at yahoo.it
Mon Jan 7 20:53:16 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008 05:23:20 pm Gene Heskett wrote:

> I boot and login at runlevel 3, the everything but X, then run startx by
> hand. I'm a big dummy maybe, and an old fart, but *I* can run it by using
> the S99local link exactly the same as it real name, so why doesn't init run
> it?

I had something similar happen to me some time in the past, say about Fedora
Core 3, and my init script was hanging (I could see it with pstree) asking
for user input. I would pepper the script with

  echo $$ so far so good >> /tmp/cursed-initscript.log

to see if it is started at all and then hangs or exits somewhere.

Davide Bolcioni
--
There is no place like /home.