mounting of samba shares via fstab in F8 (and recently updated F7)

Eric Anderson eric.anderson at plexsysipi.com
Wed Jan 30 17:43:59 UTC 2008

Paul,

~   I hadn't thought to try that, but I am very interested in keeping
plaintext passwords out of /etc if at all possible. I would ideally like
to also have a couple of shares mounted this way that relate to my
"domain" user at login. Right now I leave the password out and have to
type the cifs password for each share at startup.

For example:

mount via fstab the following share:

//server/<loginname> ("Home Share")

with the following credentials file:

/home/<loginname>/.smb/server

Eric Anderson
Communication Systems Engineer

PLEXSYS Interface Products, Inc.
E-mail: eric.anderson at plexsysipi.com
Phone: (405) 734-6090
Fax: (405) 734-6153

Paul Howarth wrote:
| Eric Anderson wrote:
|>
|> All,
|>
|> ~   I have run into a problem with reading a credentials file from fstab
|> at startup. I have been working with Dan Walsh and have at least a
|> temporary resolution. Details of our e-mail conversation are below:
|>
|> The problem:
|>
|> I get Error 13 talking about access denied
|> to the credentials file. If SELinux is sent to permissive, this is not
|> an issue. I have tried 20 different searches on google, samba.org and
|> several fedora sites to try to get the context required for the
|> credentials file to be accessible to the startup scripts that process
|> fstab.
|>
|> current SELinux context of credentials file:
|> # ls -lZ /root/.smb/yyy
|> - -rw-r-----  root root system_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0 /root/.smb/yyy
|>
|> fstab entry:
|> //mtc1-server/progs /media/mtc1-server/progs cifs

ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,credentials=/root/.smb/yyy,uid=aaaa,gid=aaaa,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775