SELinux References/Books

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Wed Jun 11 20:49:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 15:53 -0400, max wrote:
> I would prefer to get a desktop reference rather than having to refer
> to online documents or the hardcopies of individual papers I have
> printed off, many of which are also dated. In any case I feel like I
> have learned enough that I can open a book on the subject of SELinux and
> not get completely lost. It looks like I have basically two options :
>
> SELinux by Example: Using Security Enhanced Linux (Prentice Hall Open
> Source Software Development Series) by Frank Mayer, Karl MacMillan, and
> David Caplan (Paperback - Aug 6, 2006)
>
> SELinux: NSA's Open Source Security Enhanced Linux by Bill McCarty
> (Paperback - Oct 11, 2004) - Illustrated
>
> The first is more recent so I am leaning that way but I have seen
> opinions that suggest even it is way out of date. I don't mind spending
> money on a good book, reading is one of my favorite past times, but I
> don't want anything so dated that it won't serve as a decent reference
> for the near future (next year or so). I understand nothing is going to
> be up to the minute.  Should I purchase one? or are they too out of date
> to even serve as good references? This is definitely something I am
> interested in learning about or I wouldn't bother to ask. Suggestions
> and advice from all corners of reality welcome.

What kind of information are you looking for?

The first, more recent, book includes discussion of reference policy and
policy modules and thus is relatively consistent with what you find in
modern SELinux, although newer developments like system-config-selinux,
setroubleshoot, etc naturally don't appear in it.  It was written during
the development of Fedora Core 5, which marked the transition of SELinux
from the old way (example policy, monolithic policy) to the new way
(reference policy, modular policy, semanage).